JMS talks

There is a nice article about the talk jms gave to aspiring writers at Comic Con on July 23rd

His overarching theme: the importance of writing what you deeply care about.

IO9 Article

and here is a video link to his MIT lecture from earlier in the year.

jms MIT lecture (link taken down, sorry  It will be available on DVD some time in the future.)

Related posts:

Comments

Oooh! That’s a surprise.

The story that JMS tells (~16 minutes in) about a teacher who told him he’d never become a writer and then JMS sends him what he wrote is amazingly similar to a story of Harlan Ellison that I saw yesterday in his movie. They both responded the same way. I wonder how many other writers have done the same thing.

3. David from NO says:

Thanks! Go MIT! Thank you for allowing it to be downloaded. Going to toss this on my ipod and watch it.

Thanks big time Gary.

At about time 55:30 JMS talks about changes due to stopping and starting again and also about the discussion with WB about Londo cheating at cards.

Starting near 1:08 JMS discusses why he shouldn’t have done the TV movies or Crusade.

• So, does anyone know why all of a sudden the MIT video is marked “private”, and is no longer available to view or to download?

I mean, I already downloaded a copy for myself, but I’d like to know why they’ve removed it from public consumption…

meaning, was it for reasons other than “holy crap all these B5 fans are killing our server!”, and what those reasons might have been…

6. Holy crap, that sucks. So glad I finished watching it two nights ago!! I hope someone hosts it elsewhere. I was already planning on dropping by here to throw in my two cents and recommend that EVERYONE watch this.

That was one of the most, if not the most, entertaining lectures I’ve seen. He’s so captivating. I wonder if he does weddings and Quinceaños. I’d totally pay big bucks to have him come tell stories at one of my parties.

7. Summer, I think it may be because the sales of the DVD of the lectures are what finance the next year’s lecture. That’s why I didn’t transcribe even JMS’s lecture, though I do want to see about doing so and putting it into the JMSnews.com archive.

I have a feeling it was either only supposed to be temporary or wasn’t supposed to be posted at all.

Jan

• And I’m good with that, but to tease us without putting a note on that webpage that it would only be available for a limited time is just cruel! You know how procrastinaty scifi fans can be ;)

I didn’t see anything yet on when the DVDs would be available, though, unless I was looking in the wrong places.

I was surprised that it was up there and surprised that they took it down. I’m almost finished watching/listening to it now. At about 2:37 JMS talks about the Andreas/Peter practical joke. Right before that was the time he called Harlan Ellison.

9. “Procrastinaty”, huh? I like that! As for when the DVD might be out, I don’t know but the one with Neil Gaiman didn’t come out until December. Also, that didn’t include the audience Q&A. If that’s the case with JMS, it would be a real shame since IMO, the audience interaction was far superior to the Q&A between Henry Jenkins and JMS.