Babylon Podcast #280: Farewell, Old Friend

Tweet about this on Twitter12Share on Google+0Share on Facebook1Share on StumbleUpon0

It’s not goodbye, it’s farewell… we’ll meet again, and if we don’t, we will see each other again in the place where no shadows fall.

We’ve always been here, and so have you all.

Jeffrey returns from his many expeditions to explore along the Rim to join Tim, Summer and Jeremy for the final official episode of The Babylon Podcast.

We reminisce about days gone by, dive into a few more anecdotes from when the show was being filmed, and how much fun we’ve had and how much we’ve learned about our favorite show over these past seven years.

Brad from Podculture sends his regards, and his thanks for being involved in the show’s post-production early on, the Critical Myth team of John, Edmund, Bronzethumb, and Gary send their appreciations and farewells, and Edmund toasts Jarsto, a faraway friend who gave us all much to enjoy during the first few years of the show.

Just how many podcasts did we inspire to get off the ground over the years? And rumor has it that the final chapters of Three-Edged Sword over at Voices of Babylon will see the light of day soon.

Everyone runs through a stream of memories from the show, and we even had a run of puns off the official recording, just for the live stream listeners.

And yes, the trend of people who’d want to hear Babylon Podcast stylized commentary tracks on Babylon 5 and Crusade episodes, in MST3K style, is growing. Scary!

Lurker’s Guide 2.0: Summer is expanding the documentation to be covered at Lurker’s Guide 2.0, the major change being converting the episode guide into a full Wiki with cross-referenced topics, tidbits and everything you’d want in a Wiki. She’s also still searching for pictures of rare collectibles, photos of magazine covers and toys, and all sorts of other B5 goodies that didn’t get included in the original guide during the years after Crusade. Let her know if you want to lend a hand.

More Parody/Filk Songs Wanted: If you know of any more B5-related fan songs out there, definitely let us know, so we can let other B5 fans know where to buy them! And if those CDs are out of print, let’s brainstorm on ways to get those songs back out there for fans!

Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/104298820388619922392

And yes, we will still take donations, to help offset the costs of keeping the site online and active, and for the work that will be done over at the Lurkers Guide.

Related posts:

Comments

1. Is there anymore Babylon 5 movies or tv series coming out?

2. Tim, Summer, et al,

Thank you for everything. The only thing I can think to post is this:

3. Anthony – as of this writing, NO. (Sorry I couldn’t think of anything appropriately Vorlonish.) Earlier in 2012, JMS alluded to the possibility of a “reboot” of B5, which from all indications might have been a series taking place concurrently with the original; those same events would have been seen from the point of view of other (new) characters. Unfortunately, the deal fell through, landing in an alternate universe where the film “The Memory of Shadows” smashed box-office records in the wake of a successful five-year run of Crusade.

4. Hi folks,

sorry to see the podcast go, I’ve been a long time listener but I guess what can be said has been said, and when the only news coming out of the B5 universe is about the demise of more and more actors I can see your point (sort of).

Thanks for all the hard work and esp. for the interviews… those were stellar.

All the best Uwe

5. Well, this sucks.

6. Thanks to Summer, Tim, Jeffrey, et al for the work you did on the podcast. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

Cheers,
    Jim

7. Thank you for the years of entertainment and whatever comes down the road.

8. Skip Jones says:

Thank you guys for many wonderful hours. Of course with the news just below can you do one special show in May?

9. We just might have to… I received this announcement via email this morning, and Gary emailed about 8.5 seconds later to say that he was already making plans to come out here to Phoenix next May :)

You could get enough interviews at that convention to do months and months of more shows :)

11. Ed from Texas says:

Wow, it’s hard to believe that this one has come to an end. I have really enjoyed the fruits of all your labor over the years with the interviews, episode geeking, and just keeping the memory of this show alive. It’s unfortunate that it looks like the B5 canon is closed for good, but you guys have given me some rich insight into all that Babylon 5 had to offer. So, while I’m sad to see it sign off, the journey was definitely worth taking.

12. I’d love to come down to help, Summer.

Not sure how I stand with the spousal permission units, though. ;)

13. Brenno From Brisbane says:

Thanks guys, I have listened to your podcast for many years (since about show 80). You Have informed and entertained me for countless hours. I think its time i went back and listened to the first 80. Thanks again guys and goodluck with all your future projects.

14. David from Memphis says:

Been listening to the show since I first heard caught wind of it, and was one of the reasons I finally plunked money for an mp3 player. I forget how many times I used it to keep sane on the clock at work and to keep my boss off my back because of the music.

Thank you for the many laughs, the great guests, and insights into the show. Thank you for informing me of Crusade, Farscape, and giving re-imagined BSG another go.

Best of luck to you and yours in all your endeavors, and if y’all ever come down to Memphis, give us a holler yes? I’ll hook you up with some solid eats.

15. andrewfromtucson says:

Still not ready to listen to your final episode. However at least the Babylonpodcast was not a Crusade. You got the full run. Best wishes and thank you.

16. Mike Tuck from Tennessee says:

I got behind in listening to your podcasts and just now finished listening to the final one on December 31st. I’ve been listening and sending e-mails to you guys since the beginning in 2006 (I think I started listening in February and had to catch up on 2 or 3 episodes). I started out listening on my brother’s desktop computer and later on my own laptop which I got in 2011. I’ve enjoyed all of the cast interviews over the years (I think Mira is the only major cast member that didn’t do an interview). I haven’t always agreed with you guys on which episodes were good or bad. I actually liked “Infection” from season 1. It wasn’t the best, but it was alright. Even when I didn’t agree with you, the podcast was still entertaining and often educational. There were many things about Babylon 5 that I didn’t know but learned from your podcast.

I do wish you had read or discussed my last e-mail where I reviewed the only official Babylon 5 video game (a handheld LCD game from 1994), but I’ll forgive you since you had a lot to cover in so little time. The game wasn’t that great anyway, but it’s still nice to have.

I’m glad that you will keep the website up and still have an occasional special podcast episode in the future. I will have to remember to check in from time to time. I’ll miss listening to you guys on a regular basis. Even though there were audio problems at times, all in all, you did a great job. This podcast should have won some awards. I’ll miss it.

Goodbye and good luck.

17. Mike, that oversight with your voicemail is mine and mine alone. Sorry for that. We didn’t get to talk with Mira, nor Bill Mumy. Oh well.

18. Paul Edwards says:

Just finished listening to Podcast #280: Farewell, Old Friend.
    I am going to miss this show, only found out about it a year or so ago.
    Thanks for every episode!

Paul Edwards
    Jacksonville, Fl
    (Sorry, don’t know Gary)

19. Trying to email Summer and her Slice address is bouncing back with uknown user.

20. Mark Heil says: