Apparently, the increasing value of the Babylon 5 scriptbooks keeps causing a ruckus, and The Script Books Team is doing something about it, while they can.
That’s why they’re holding a Script Books Series Lottery — to make available as many full sets of the script books as they have left.
Yes, that’s right… FULL sets of the original 15-volume collection. At the original prices:
1) By “complete set,” we mean Volumes 1-14 as well as the coveted Volume 15, signed by J. Michael Straczynski.
2) So that we can guarantee all books shipped, we are only picking a few winners at a time, so we can handle any issues that might occur during shipping by dipping back into our reserves to replace a damaged volume. This way, we can assure fans there is no risk of getting a damaged book without us being able to replace it.
3) Each lottery winner will have their set of books specially packed to avoid damage. All the books will be packed in the white bumper boxes used for our current book releases. These bumper boxes will then be surrounded in bubble wrap before being placed in a larger cardboard box. Each set of books will arrive in two boxes: one will contain 7 books; the other will contain 8 books. When we’ve shipped this way in the past, we’ve had a zero-damage rate. All shipments will be tracked.
4) These books are pristine and still in their original shrink-wrap. They were printed years ago specifically to replace defective volumes, so we had to make sure they were perfect before the “plates were destroyed.”
5) The books are US$39.99 each — the price for which they originally sold. Volume 15 remains a gift from J. Michael Straczynski; there is no cost for Volume 15 itself or its shipping. The total price for all 14 books is $559.86. Shipping for the U.S. is $39; International is $83.
And if you’re only missing a couple of the original books, your chance to fill in the holes is also coming up — in February 2011, when all of the full sets that they can make have been sold, whatever leftover single volumes will be made available.
So, if you’re one of those fans who’s been cringing at the high prices you’ve seen for these books on eBay and at Amazon.com, your last chance is here.